HUD published Notice PIH 2012-31 “Assisted housing for persons with disabilities under Olmstead implementation efforts to provide community-based options rather than institutional settings” (June 29, 2012).
The Notice provides guidance to PHAs and describes actions PHAs may take to assist persons with disabilities transitioning from institutions and persons at serious risk of institutionalization access PHA-assisted housing (i.e. public housing and housing choice vouchers) through:
· Authorizing local admission preferences;
· Providing dedicated non-elderly disabled vouchers;
· Utilizing Section 811 project rental assistance;
· Enhancing outreach to local communities;
· Creating accessible housing lists;
· Increasing flexibility; and
· Seeking service-based resources.
The Notice supplements prior guidance in PIH Notice 2005-5 on community-based alternatives for individuals with disabilities.
A copy of Notice PIH 2012-31 may be found here: http://portal.hud.gov/huddoc/12-31pihn.pdf