- This week, HUD’s Office of Public and Indian Housing issued Notice 2020-24, Extension of Period of Availability for CARES Act Supplemental Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher Funds, Guidance on CARES Act Financial Reporting Requirements (FDS and Quarterly Reporting), and Other CARES Act Provisions. The notice provides information on funding extensions, annual reporting, & quarterly reporting for PHAs that have received supplemental funding via the CARES Act, including Supplemental Public Housing Operating Funds, Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) and Mainstream Administrative Fees, Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) funding, and Moderate Rehabilitation Program funding.
According to the notice, the period of impact on the public housing and HCV programs of COVID-19 will extend past December 31, 2020, and that families assisted by the program will continue to require expanded services due to COVID-19. HUD is exercising its authority under the CARES Act to extend the time-period for which the programs are impacted by COVID-19. Specifically, HUD is issuing the following deadlines:
- CARES Act – Operating Fund: The period of availability for the use of CARES Act Supplemental Public Housing Operating Funds has been extended to December 31, 2021. PHAs may use any available Public Housing Capital and Operating Funds appropriated for Fiscal Years 2020 and prior for any eligible Capital or Operating Fund expense, and for other expanded COVID19 expenses as included in Notice 2020-07, through December 31, 2021.
- CARES Act – HCV Supplemental HAP and Administrative Fee Funds (including Mainstream): Section 4 of PIH Notice 2020-17 CARES Act – HCV Program Supplemental HAP awarded under the Extraordinary Circumstance funds (including those funds awarded for Mainstream) has been extended through December 31, 2021 (with Shortfall funds only available through December 31, 2020). Section 6 of PIH Notice 2020-18 CARES Act – HCV Program Administrative Fees – Second Award provides the period of availability for administrative fee funding, including for any unspent funds initially awarded under PIH Notice 2020-08. The period of availability for all CARES Act Supplemental Administrative fees (including those supplemental administrative fee funds provided for Mainstream) is extended to December 31, 2021.
- CARES Act – PBRA Funds for PHA’s Moderate Rehabilitation Program: Section 4 of PIH Notice 2020-20 provided the period of availability for the use of CARES Act supplemental Moderate Rehabilitation funds through December 31, 2020. This notice extends the period of availability of these funds through December 31, 2021.
Notice 2020-24, Extension of Period of Availability for CARES Act Supplemental Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher Funds, Guidance on CARES Act Financial Reporting Requirements (FDS and Quarterly Reporting), and Other CARES Act Provisions is attached and can also be found here.
- HUD and the Department of Energy have announced a Building Better Challenge Multifamily Webinar focusing on challenges that PHAs face in accessing capital for retrofits and will present innovative solutions three PHAs pursued to successfully finance efficiency projects in public housing. Panelists will spotlight successful and replicable approaches that made energy and water efficiency upgrades in public housing possible and explain ways to free up operating funds while reducing tenant utility bills and improving resident health and comfort. The webinar is next Tuesday, September 22, at 3PM (Eastern) and members can register here.