Additional guidance for implementing the final Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013 (VAWA) was published today. Please note that this notice is specific to changes for Multifamily Housing, doesn’t cover all aspects of the VAWA final rule, and is intended to be used in conjunction with it.
On November 16, 2016, HUD published its VAWA final rule implementing the requirements of VAWA 2013 through HUD regulations (81 FR 80724). The rule affects all owners/agents of properties under Multifamily’s rental assistance programs and became effective December 16, 2016. Major changes for Multifamily Housing programs include:
- Continuation of the core protections across all multifamily housing programs, ensuring survivors of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking are not denied assistance as an applicant; are not evicted or have assistance terminated due to having been a victim, or for being affiliated with a victim.
- Emergency transfers – Emergency transfer provisions of the final rule became effective June 14, 2017. The Notice provides more detailed guidance on developing an emergency transfer plan and facilitating internal and external emergency transfers.
- Protections against adverse effects of abuse – Domestic violence can often have negative economic consequences on a survivor, such as poor credit and/or rental history. The Notice discusses how owners and agents (O/As) should take such adverse factors into consideration to avoid denying tenancy or occupancy rights based solely on adverse factors resulting from domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking.
- Documentation and timing – The Notice provides details on types of documentation that may be required to request VAWA protections and emergency transfers, as well as the certification option that may minimize possible barriers to obtaining third-party documentation. The Notice also discusses reasonable timeframes for applicants or tenants to provide requested documentation.
NEW: Translated VAWA forms HUD-5380, 5381, 5382, and 5383 are posted on HUDclips. Form HUD-91066 is obsolete and removed from HUDclips. Form HUD-91067 is in the process of being revised; refer to the Notice for guidance.
SAVE THE DATE: Upcoming live trainings
- Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 2:30 – 4:00 PM (Eastern): VAWA Final Rule from Owner/Agent Perspective
- Tuesday, August 1, 2017, 1:30-3:00 PM (Eastern): VAWA Final Rule from HUD/PBCA Perspective. **Owners/Agents are encouraged to attend.
Registration information for the trainings will be out soon.
COMING SOON: VAWA FAQs are being drafted and will be provided soon. Send us your questions.