On June 30, 2017, the Office of Multifamily Housing issued Notice H 2017-05, “Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) Reauthorization Act of 2013 – Additional Guidance for Multifamily Owners and Management Agents.”
HUD will offer two live training webcasts. The trainings will also be archived for later viewing. No registration is necessary to participate. Viewers will have the opportunity to email questions during each live broadcast.
- Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 2:30 – 4:00 PM (Eastern): VAWA Final Rule from Owner/Agent Perspective
- Tuesday, August 1, 2017, 1:30-3:00 PM (Eastern): VAWA Final Rule from HUD/PBCA Perspective. **Owners/Agents are encouraged to attend.
Access to training links:
- External audiences (owners, agents, PBCAs) may access the training at: External Website
Internal audiences (HUD staff) may access the training at the hud@work website portal at: Internal Website
- The July 26 webcast will review and explain VAWA requirements for owners and management agents of HUD assisted multifamily housing. Topics to be covered include:
- Purpose & Background
- Protections & Eligibility
- Lease Bifurcation
- Actual & Imminent Threat
- Emergency Transfer Plan
- HUD Enforcement
- The August 1 broadcast will focus primarily on HUD and contract administrator monitoring and enforcement of the VAWA requirements. Topics to be covered include:
- Notification and distribution of required documents;
- Proper documentation and record-keeping of VAWA requests and their outcomes;
- Maintenance of confidentiality;
- Contents and execution of the property’s Emergency Transfer Plan, and
- Documentation of admission or transfer preferences given to victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking.
Please continue to send us your questions.